Since I received my WDTV Live a week ago I’ve been working on getting a full fledged homebrew firmware working on it. Well, it only took me 4 days from UPS box to custom firmware and now the stage is polishing and tweaking of the package. This post is intended as a ‘progress report’ of sorts. I will be updating this page as I create new versions and find new information, so be sure to check back.
At the moment WDLXTV_LIVE is a non-flash firmware. This means that you select to upgrade your WDTV Live, using the files I provide, and the WDTV Live will boot directly into WDLXTV_LIVE without flashing. Once you are done playing/testing WDLXTV_LIVE, simply power cycle your WDTV Live and replace the wdtvlive.bin I provide with the official one from Western Digital. I provide a link to their stock firmware along with WDLXTV_LIVE releases. WDLXTV Live is now a flashable firmware.
There are many features and extra functionality included already. For those of you familiar with the original WDLXTV, most things are configured the same way. For those unfamiliar…well either read S00custom-options for various boot time settings or refer to the forum post I link to below
New versions of wdlxtv-live have been migrated to their own pages now, refer to the top level.
* fixed video playback
* enabled persistent video_resume_points_table (if exists on device at boot)
* fixed default 12 thumb browse
* re-widened youtube related videos results
* ext3-boot-live now identifies itself better
* debian-wdlxtv-live now in beta (for gimme-the-dam-kitchen-sink-folk)
*** thanks to Bob for inspiration and initial work with debbootstrap
* better pivot & cleanup with root.bin
* cifs-interceptor mounts can now be NFS/cifs/etc instead of only NFS
* fixed net.mounts execution on interface up
* fixed 8 item list view
* firmware now based on official firmware 1.01.11!!!
* fixed bug in cifs-interceptor preventing CIFS from mounting
* added in code to pivot to ext3-boot-live firmware IF root.bin is located on /dev/sda1
* crond included (to enable: config_tool -c CROND=ON) (to edit: crontab -e)
* rearranged net.mounts & ntp execution
* NFS now mountable under network shares!!!! (requires workaround--http://b-rad.cc/cifs-interceptor)
* shells check for /conf/profile and load if exists
* actual original screen_saver & background images included now
* enabled upload on 'fixed' ftp server
* disabled ntp by default (cause of info bar issue) [to enable: config_tool -c NTP=ON]
* included original background and screen_saver images
* update included dox
*** !!! PERMANENT FLASH NOW !!! ***
* fixed ftp server
* tweaked NET_MOUNTS_DELAY implementation
* added hostname configuration & ntp (config_tool -c DEVICE_NAME=)
* added ntp-4.2.4p7 with timezone (config_tool -c TIMEZONE=)
* set ftp root to / (allows editing of /conf files)
* add delay for net.mounts execution (config_tool -c NET_MOUNTS_DELAY=10 [or 5/20/13/etc])
* patched busybox so CIFS/SAMBA shares mount correctly in 'Network shares'
* rsync-3.0.6 included
* fixed memory leak with smbtree
* better workaround for net.mounts
* actually unified background images
* workaround for net.mounts
* root password is blank (use pw-fix.app.bin to reset)
0.1 - initial release
* includes busybox-1.14.1, e2fsprogs-1.41.9, portmap-6.0, dropbear-0.52, hdparm-9.27, usbutils-0.86, wget-1.12
* includes cd-manager-0.7 for optical drive functionality
* telnet, ftp, & ssh servers enabled (each can be disabled)
* net.mounts can exist on attached device at boot or /conf for automagic mounting of NFS,SAMBA,whatever
* root password is: wdtvlive
* includes wdlxtv-0.5.7.1's mount.watch, list.watch, plug.watch, xmount, & crazymount
* app.bin, osd.bin, & opt.bin loading
* OSD tweaks (refer to S00custom-options for how to change views)
* added selectable 4, 6, 8 item list view (default=8)
* added selectable 4, 8, 12 thumb browse view (default=12)
* added 15 thumb view to music/photo (default=10)
* increased font size of title to 32 in thumb view
* filename listings are much wider
* widened YouTube related videos viewboxes
* unified background images to villa_bg.jpg (Villa_bg.png, villa_bg.jpg, villa_bg.png)
* one compiled font replacement may be stored as /conf/custom-translation.mo, it will overlay the first asian font
* independant welcome_logo and screen_saver
* Custom background and screen saver images can be supplied at boot
* requires villa_bg.jpg (maxsize=524288) or screen_saver.png to exist on a device attached at boot
* original screen_saver & welcome_background are supplied, in case you desire them.
* .addMounts functionality for media library scanning (Experimental--work in progress)
* .thumbDB functionality for persistent thumb cache
* .keepalive functionality for disabling of device spin down on device standby
* Ethernet is kept alive during standby (look at S00custom-options to disable)
* users are enabled (experimental)
* custom USB slot icons can be enabled (look at S00custom-options)
* default Optical Drive thumb
* changed background to http://oliuss.deviantart.com/art/Hardwood-Night-88299626
- Standby (power off with remote) tends to mess things up.
net.mounts & wireless adapters sometimes don't work together-- Execute following via ssh:
config_tool -c NET_MOUNTS_DELAY=15
now playing / progress info bar might not contain info/progress-- issue with ntp so it is disabled by default now.
WDLXTV_LIVE Download Links:
NOTE:IF wdlxtv-live comes with a wdtvlive.fff, this means there has been an official kernel upgrade. You are advised to place wdtvlive.fff on the device you place wdtvlive.bin on for the upgrade. If you are upgrading from an earlier version you are advised to upgrade to official 1.01.11 or WDLXTV-LIVE-0.2.0 so that you get the kernel upgrade. This will only happen when wdlxtv is upgraded to a new official firmware version.
Downgrade instructions are inside the README file.
Does this sound a little complicated? Yes? Well, I have started a thread at wdtvforum to address issues & requests dealing with WDLXTV_LIVE. You may find it here. If you have any questions or anything the forums there are an excellent source of information.
UPDATE (November 16, 2009)
I have made it to where it is now (finally!!!!!) possible to view files off NFS's without any local storage connected. In order to read how to accomplish this, which requires a bit of a workaround refer to the following page: WDLXTV-LIVE cifs-interceptor. This is a fairly momentous thing to accomplish
Here is something I made to get OSD themers started. It is the entire /osd directory from wdlxtv-live. The bin file is an ext2 filesystem image.
To mount it you'll need some sort of Linux environment, then something like this:
mount -o loop villa-osd.bin /tmp/villa-osd
Once you have it mounted go in and edit whatever files you'd like. When you're finished umount the bin, transfer it to the root of a device, and power cycle your wdtv with that device attached. If everything went fine you can even ssh in and modify the files in /osd live.
I spend a tremendous amount of time hacking the WDTV & WDTV Live firmwares, so if you appreciate my efforts please donate a little something using the link below : ) Your donations help motivate further developments. Thanks & enjoy.